Sunday, February 5, 2012

2.5.12 One Moment in Time...

There is a moment [quite defining] in each person's life, when one realizes, most clearly, what it is they are intended to do in this world. As award season continues, [full speed ahead] I am prompted to examine the moment that shaped my being, entertainment. Moreover, acting. I always knew, [early on] that I had a definite interest in entertaining. As a child I went through chorus, dance, band; everything, on a search to find which medium connected efficiently with my spirit. I was just a boy, in middle school, and I had no idea who Denzel Washington or Morgan Freeman were. We were in class, [history] and the film being shown was Glory. I was immediately intrigued. Not only did I see myself on film, but there was something completely transient that read through that TV. The talent of these two actors in a scene together was electrifying and I was captivated, immensely. That moment was inescapable and I have been transfixed by it ever since. After that, there was nothing that could stop me. A few weeks later there were auditions for a musical, Oliver Twist, and I stayed after school to audition. I had no idea what I was doing, but I was told I read well, and that encouragement was all that I needed to connect myself on a path to education in Theatre Performance. It was a catalyst that is vastly responsible for who I proclaim to be today. [I digress.] When the list went up I saw that I had been cast, as the understudy for Oliver. Having no idea about theatre, Oliver Twist, or what any of it meant, I was outraged, and quit the production. [my biggest regret to date] but thats another story for another time... What is your calling? what moment shaped your identity in declaring the sentiments of your heart professionally? sharing is caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment