Tuesday, December 20, 2011

12.20

In efforts to become a published writer, I am writing everyday and trying to create opportunities. In doing so, Im trying to get a gig as a guest writer/blogger [whatever] on different mediums and sites.  So... this is what I wrote today...


What I would like to do is work on stories that relate to entertainment; more specifically, I would like to cover the award season. The idea is to focus or highlight the African American nominees, exploring their idiosyncrasies, purpose, and identity as the season progresses and unveils the winners in the categories of best actor/actress, best supporting actor/actress, and perhaps best film, providing that African Americans are nominated in each category. I want to write, in my opinion, their best performances, possibilities, and potential and talent in an industry that still appears to be biased in the opportunities present for people of color. As follows, is a portion of the type of work I would like to publish.
Viola Davis is an exquisite human and I am completely enthralled by her being. Most fascinated by her humility and spirit of excellence. As the award season approaches Mrs. Davis’ name again becomes pertinent, spoken out of the mouths of many audiences; critics and academies alike. This year, for her role in The Help, as Aibeleen. Keeping the controversy behind her, invested in telling the stories of real people, connected with the human experience, Mrs. Davis is nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Actress....
Viola Davis has become regarded as hollywood royalty praised by many, her peers, including he incomparable Meryl Streep. In Entertainment Weekly Meryl Streep had this to say, “Her humanity marches out in front of her; her kindness, her fierceness, her unwillingness to compromise, her stubbornness make me love her too.”
yet, still, as an African American actor, even in 2012 there are inhibitions, felt by even Viola Davis. In an interview with Charlie Rose, she responded, “I never dreamed I wouldn’t have the same opportunities as Meryl Streep... being black and a woman.”
I look forward to sharing the rest of the story with you,

1 comment:

  1. I began to watch the Viola Davis interview this morning before work.. must finish tonight! Ms.Davis is an amazing human being! I LOVE HER! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete